The LVAQI is now part of the Design/Masters of Architecture show opening 6/10/2013 at the Sullivan Galleries in downtown Chicago. Here is a sneak peek for what will be isntalled: more information at http://www.saic.edu/press/2013/finalgraduateexhibitionof2013leadsfiveshowsopeningjune10/
Come say hi during the reception on Monday 6/10/2013 from 6pm-8pm
Last week, I installed monitors with real time data visualization in local business around town. There are a couple of things I need to do to finalize my code.
About a week ago I assembled the fully working LVAQI boards. The boards are being assembled now and will be installed in the near future.
Over the last couple of weeks, I finalized the LVAQI board design and sent it out for production. Today, the board finally came and I am truly proud of them. There is an issue in the silkscreen, but that is the least of my worries. The EAGLE file will be available for download once I correct some things.The Little Village Air Quality Initiative hardware is almost complete.
[pictured above are the LVAQI boards unassembled.]
[pictured below is the original EagleCAD design]
This week, i have laser cut custom LVAQI.ORG raspberryPi cases!
This semester I took an Android application developing class taught by the very own Jesus Duran, writer of the Ketai Android Library for Processing. Since my primary project this semester has been the LVAQI, I decided to create a branch of the project. I created the Little Village Air Quality App(name is not really finalized though). Anyways, here is a brief description of the project:
“The Little Village Air Quality App, also known as LVAQA (laºvaca) is a data-collecting Android application. The hardware, also known as “la vaquita”, pairs wirelessly to your android device through bluetooth, and broadcasts its data to your device. The vaquita carries a Carbon-Monoxide sensor (mq-7), which can detect CO-gas concentrations anywhere from 20 to 2000ppm.
The Android device displays the data in real time, alerting the user if high levels of CO are present. The interface consists of three buttons, a pairing button, a record button, and an upload button. The record button begins to record the data broadcasted from la vaquita. Once the data is collected, it is stored temporarily in the Android device until the user uploads the data wirelessly to a server. An additional two buttons can switch from viewing the current data displayed by the sensor, and yesterdays average. The platform serves as a data collecting device, visualizations will follow”
The Application functions properly and posts data as it should, I rushed the interface and didn’t pay to much attention to the design; it is functional and its architecture works.
During the last couple of weeks, Camille Macrae has worked closely with LVAQI to help develop the enclosure for the sensor board. The first version of the prototype is modeled after a house on 32nd S Harding ave that i have always admired. Its parallel air vents provide enough air to circulate through the sensors. The design became a challenge, thinking of ways to protect the sensor board from rain; the sensor board rests under the roof. This is only the first version, it will be revised and improved over the next couple of weeks. Camille is also a student of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in the Designed Objects department.
I have been working on the visualization for a while now, perhaps 3 months. Here is a rough version of what the final visualization will display.
The circles represent 12 hour cycle of what time the pollutant was present the most. I have yet to superimpose an average to compare our data to.
Also, the information fades out and information of the project fades in. Once I am done with it I will post a video.
He estado trabajando en la visualización por un tiempo, tal vez 3 meses. He aquí una versión aproximada de lo que se mostrará la visualización final.
Los círculos representan el ciclo de 12 horas cuando un contaminante esta presente durante el día. Todavía tengo que superponer un promedio para comparar nuestros datos.
Publicare un video en cuanto acabe la aplicacion.
Writing the data visualization using an old Amiga monitor with my RaspberryPi
The platform was was assembled and is ready to collect data! Currently, the sensor platform could detect temperature, humidity, Carbon Monixide, Tropospheric Ozone, and Combustion gas. All gases are measured in Parts Per Million. There will be a total of 5 air quality sensor boards that will communicate to a server to deposit the data. Data visualization and application is next. The final boards will be sent out to be made and silkscreened for better circuit precision.
La plataforma fue ensamblada y está lista para recoger datos! Actualmente, la plataforma de sensores puede detectar la temperatura, la humedad, en monóxido de carbono, el ozono troposférico y el gas de combustión. Todos los gases se miden en partes por millón.Habrá un total de 5 placas de sensores de calidad del aire que se comunican con un servidor para depositar los datos. Visualización de los datos y la aplicación de sensores es lo siguiente. Las tablas finales serán enviadas a realizar con serigrafia y mejor precisión de circuito.